There's some really good, solid advice that many may not think of like:
Reassure your dog. If your dog seems to feel unsettled by Halloween activities, just act as normally as possible. By over-reassuring your dog or giving him extra attention, you inadvertently can communicate to him that there must be something to worry about.
Makes perfect sense but I don't think I would have thought of that.
I tell you what if someone kept telling me everything was going to be fine over and over, I'D be suspect.
Read the full article HERE but here are the bullet points:
- Bring your dog indoors.
- Keep your dog restrained.
- Reassure your dog.
- Have your dog get used to costumes.
- Check your dogs ID tag.
- Keep candy away from your dog.
- Protect your dog from candles and pumpkins.
- Think twice about dressing your dog in a costume.
- Consider carefully and be prepared.
Have some Mad-Lib fun: replace the word "dog" in the above tips with "gerbil" as in "Think twice about dressing your gerbil in a costume."
You ever try to put a Freddy Krueger glove on a gerbil?
Man, they do NOT like that.