The New York Post has a brief article stating that the fictitious "TruBlood" beverage that the vampires consume in the show will be realized as a sugary blood-orange flavored soda treat called... "TruBlood."
This info was also confirmed at this past weekend's 2009 San Diego Comic Con and by myself 30 seconds ago through the HBO Store HERE and the official website of the drink HERE at trubeverage.com.
According to the HBO press release:
It's official! The Tru Blood drink has now been 'de-fictionalized' and emerges into reality as a delicious blood orange carbonated drink.I LOVE my beverages "stormy and mysterious."
- Meticulously crafted, the Tru Blood Drink is an exact replica of the bottle design as seen on True Blood. The 14oz glass Tru Blood bottle is stained in a rich red, with raised Tru Blood English lettering and matching Japanese Kanji.
- This blood orange flavored soda is slightly tart, lightly sweet and subtly carbonated. Designed to taste great while matching the appearance of Bill’s favorite drink, the drink pours like a regular soda, but with the standing appearance in a glass is stormy and mysterious.
Kudos to the marketing people for getting it RIGHT.
Of course you know where I'm going with this:
What a perfect beverage for your upcoming Halloween party, right???!!!
For those attending who are fans of the show and don't know this info, you can get major style points sneaking these into the iced coffin cooler for them to discover.
The HBO site even lists some drink menu recipes to use with the soda:
Drink Menu:"Death on the Beach" HA!
- The Fangbanger - Tru Blood, Vodka
- Death on the Beach - Tru Blood, Peach Schnapps, Pineapple Juice, Vodka
- Plasmapolitan - Tru Blood, Citron, Cointreau, Fresh Lime Juice
The soda will ship early if ordered through the HBO store so get on it.
A four pack will set you back $16 (that's four dollars PER BOTTLE) so be sure to SIP IT.